Google REWS Case Study
How Rheaply’s AxM technology enabled Google’s Real Estate & Workplace Services group to reduce spend and avoid unnecessary waste
AT A GLANCE
Google’s Real Estate & Workplace Services (REWS) Group is a division of Google built solely to maintain its properties, transportation and infrastructure, tasked with designing an inviting workplace for its 119,000+ employees within a state-of-the-art, creative think tank.
Their real estate team was moving from several decentralized warehouses to one centralized warehouse, and turned to Rheaply to manage this transition.
- Consolidate assets across warehouses and get otherwise wasted furniture back into reuse – all within just 3 weeks.
- Increase spend avoidance and cost savings by reusing resources (e.g. furniture, equipment) already available.
- Contribute to Google’s Net Zero Waste strategy and mission to bring circularity to every part of business operations.
US $131 billion
NUMBER OF EMPLOYEES
LENGTH OF TRIAL
Our Immediate Success
Increased engagement by setting goals and rewarding user actions. Users earned points towards their own score while adding to the organization’s current goal.
TOTAL WASTE DIVERTED FROM LANDFILL (~0.6 TONS)
OF THE ~$400k FURNITURE IN THE GOOGLE REWS WAREHOUSE RE-CIRCULATED
TOTAL RECAPTURED VALUE FROM SURPLUSES
Key Performance Indicators
Reduce procurement costs
Intramural resource sharing
Asset discoverability & cataloging
Reduction of GHG emissions
At Google, we had an exorbitant amount of surplus inventory with unused assets worth millions sitting in warehouses. We had no way of knowing what we had, where it was or how to deploy anything…
Our goal is to embed the circular economy into the fabric of Google.
Through increased visibility and redeployment of surplus resources, Rheaply’s technology aimed to:
- Create a sharing economy among a facilities warehouse location to reuse existing products or materials.
- Better accuracy and availability of items in a warehouse.
- Structure order fulfillment workflows to more easily identify the exact location in which an item is located.
- Optimize warehouse floor space through consolidation of warehouse items and avoiding stale warehouse picking carts.
By focusing on easily sourcing products from internal colleagues first before making purchasing decisions, Rheaply would improve sustainability outcomes and facilitate more cost-efficient and productive facility programs & operations: less waste is generated because all excess or unused assets and property are reused, including all valuable surplus property. Equipment sharing has been an issue of the past because different solutions exist for different departments; each department relied on a homegrown asset management ‘solution’ to deal with its individual assets. Thus, a more standardized and centralized approach was needed.
Rewarding Reuse Heroes
A long term goal is to use Rheaply’s technology for an incentive program within organizations to automatically assign points to user actions that align with valuable business objectives: procurement savings, reducing waste, and increasing internal collaboration/coordination.
Inspire reuse at your organization
Bring circular asset management to your organization.